Benefits of Membership
What is WIA?
For 30 years, Women in Aerospace (WIA) has been dedicated to expanding women’s opportunities for leadership and increasing their visibility in the aerospace community, both in the US and internationally.
Our membership, consisting of more than 2,000 individual members, representing 250 companies, and including more than 80 corporate members consisting of both women and men that share an interest in a broad spectrum of aerospace issues.
What are the Benefits of Membership?
- Networking: Formal and informal discussions and interaction with leading aerospace professionals from government, academia, and the private sector.
- Programming: Access to and participation in high-quality programs and events featuring topics of critical importance to the aerospace industry.
- Professional Development: Practical, substantive guidance, and insight coupled with direct contact with leading industry players to facilitate professional growth and development at all stages of a career.
- Recognition of Technical and Community Accomplishments: A forum to recognize and showcase outstanding women in the aerospace industry for their leadership and achievement.
What are some of our past program highlights?
- Guest speakers include Congresswoman Barbara Comstock; ADM John M. Richardson, US Navy Director; General Ellen Pawlikowski; the Honorable Manson K. Brown, NOAA Deputy Administrator; Major General Charles Bolden (ret), NASA Administrator; Susan Gordon, Deputy Director, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. Major General Linda R. Urrutia-Varhall, U.S. Air Force; Brig Gen Sarah E. Zabel, Office of the Secretary of the Air Force, the Pentagon; Major General Lawrence A. Stutzriem USAF (Ret), National Science Foundation; Douglas L. Loverro, U.S. Department of Defense; Natesh Manikoth, Chief Scientist, ANG-4 Federal Aviation Administration; Jim Martin, U.S. Department of Defense; Pamela Melroy, DARPA; Dr. Ellen Ochoa, NASA Johnson Space Center; Marilyn Thomas, Office of the Under Secretary of the Air Force, U.S. Air Force; Dr. Stephen Volz, NOAA NESDIS; and Rosemary Wenchel, Department of Homeland Security.
- WIA’s Conference held each year is known for its innovative programming and selling out early for both sponsorship and registration.
- Panel topics including defense and national security issues; human space flight and other civil and commercial space issues; aviation issues, including air traffic management modernization and aviation security; science and technology policy and budgetary issues; and much more;
- Professional Development topics including: WIA’s own “How To Series”, a special series designed to help with special topics such social networking, resume building, finances; Coaching Leadership Champions of Change; Meet, Greet, & Learn: A Speed Mentoring Program; Mentoring in the Millennia Generations; Career Transitions: Moving Among Space Sectors; The Ins and Outs of How Business Decisions Get Made, Leadership Success, Mentoring Mixers and more; offered both online and in person.
- Annual Awards Ceremony and Banquet: Annual program to recognize aerospace technical achievements and community outreach by women;
- Annual networking events at the National Space Symposium, AIAA Space Conference and Exhibit, GEOINT Conference, International Astronautical Congress