Benefits of Membership
What is WIA?
For over 30 years, Women in Aerospace (WIA) has been dedicated to expanding women’s opportunities for leadership and increasing their visibility in the aerospace community, both in the US and internationally.
Our membership, consisting of more than 2,000 individual members, representing 250 companies, and including more than 80 corporate members consisting of both women and men that share an interest in a broad spectrum of aerospace issues.
What are the Benefits of Membership?
- Networking: Formal and informal discussions and interaction with leading aerospace professionals from government, academia, and the private sector.
- Programming: Access to and participation in high-quality programs and events featuring topics of critical importance to the aerospace industry.
- Professional Development: Practical, substantive guidance, and insight coupled with direct contact with leading industry players to facilitate professional growth and development at all stages of a career.
- Recognition of Technical and Community Accomplishments: A forum to recognize and showcase outstanding women in the aerospace industry for their leadership and achievement.
What are some of our past program highlights?
- Guest speakers the past couple of years included The Honorable Heather Wilson, 24th Secretary of the U.S. Air Force, The Honorable Deborah Lee James, 23rd Secretary of the U.S. Air Force, The Honorable Jim Bridenstine, 13th NASA Administrator, Robert Lightfoot Jr, Acting Administrator of NASA (2017-2018); Major General Linda R. Urrutia-Varhall, National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency; and Dr. Will Roper, formerly of the Strategic Capabilities Office of the Secretary of Defense.
- WIA’s Program Series held each year is known for its innovative content and selling out early for both sponsorship and registration.
- Panel topics have included defense and national security issues; human space flight and other civil and commercial space issues; aviation issues, including air traffic management modernization and aviation security; science and technology policy and budgetary issues; and much more;
- Professional Development topics in 2018 included: Career Success and Satisfaction: One’s Unique Recipe of Foundational Ingredients; Claiming a Seat at the Table: Strategies for Interrupting Gender Bias at Work; Leading Effective Teams; Beating the Imposter Syndrome; Mentor/Mentee Relationships: Skills for Success; and Change Management; offered conveniently online as part of our webinar series where you can earn a Women in Aerospace Professional Development Certificate!
- Annual Awards Dinner & Ceremony is an annual event dedicated to celebrating women’s professional excellence in aerospace. The Awards Ceremony is WIA’s premiere event of the year, honoring women whose outstanding contributions to the aerospace community are legendary.